Matters of conversion and Embezzlement

Conversion and embezzlement are two distinct legal concepts that are often misunderstood or conflated with one another. It is important to understand the difference between these two terms, as they have different legal implications and carry different penalties.

Conversion is the unauthorized use or disposition of another person’s property as if it were one’s own. It is a civil wrong, meaning that it is a violation of someone’s rights that is remedied through a lawsuit seeking monetary damages. Conversion can occur when someone takes another person’s property without their permission, or when someone uses another person’s property for a purpose that was not intended or agreed upon. For example, if someone borrows a car from a friend and then sells it without the friend’s consent, that would be considered conversion.

Embezzlement, on the other hand, is a criminal offense that involves the theft of property or money that has been entrusted to someone in a position of trust. Embezzlement often occurs in the context of a business or organization, where an employee or officer is entrusted with managing financial resources or assets. If that person misappropriates those resources for their own personal use, they can be charged with embezzlement. For example, if an employee at a company steals money from the company’s bank account and uses it for their own purposes, they could be charged with embezzlement.

It is important to note that both conversion and embezzlement involve the unauthorized use or disposition of someone else’s property, but the key difference is that conversion is a civil wrong while embezzlement is a criminal offense. The legal consequences of conversion are typically limited to monetary damages, while the consequences of embezzlement can include imprisonment and fines.

Both conversion and embezzlement are serious legal issues that can have significant consequences for those involved. If you have been a victim of either of these crimes, it is important to seek legal advice and take steps to protect your rights and pursue justice.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.